Thursday, June 21, 2018

Grace Art Journal Page


Is this an art journal page?  I've never made one before, but I was enchanted by the one Esther shared at Crop Stop.  Her use of a bit of a tissue paper sewing pattern and the incorporation of the scripture was just so clever, and the whole page is so bright and eye-catching.

Anyway, when she challenged participants to a twist in the current challenge, I decided to give it a try.  Rather than an art journal, I chose to use my work as the first page inside a disk-bound journal I use for sermon notes.  I made a mistake when punching the holes, so I mounted the whole page on a sheet of metallic card stock which left a pretty gold border and covered the back of the watercolor paper.

Project steps:
1. Watched youtube videos by Tiffany Solario...fun and informative.
2.  Sponged Peacock Feathers Distress Oxide ink over watercolor paper.  Added water, Prima watercolors, and metallic gold paint splatters.
3. Dabbed gold paint through a MFT Magical Mandala Doily (=homemade stencil)
4.  Printed Amazing Grace from a website, cut with a deckle-edge Spellbinder rectangle and stamped "grace" from a Verve Plain Jane.  I actually masked off the rest of the text with an extra die-cut banner in my scrap bowl.
5. Stamped the scripture and butterflies from Verve's Butterfly Grace.
6. Smooshed Peacock Feathers ink directly on a chipboard cross I won forever ago from Word Art Wednesday.
7.  Added "Flower Splatter" stamping from YNS and a butterfly corner stamp from ODBD and put the whole thing together.
8.  Added gold cards tock after making a cutting error!!!

Actually, this was a blast, but I don't know if my fingernails will ever be clean again.

Thanks for looking and reading (or skipping) my ramblings,
Christine

Linking to:
Crop Stop
SSS Wednesday Challenge (Bright and Cheerful)
Word Art Wednesday

3 comments:

Esther Asbury said...

Oh Christine, I LOVE your art journal page! So happy you decided to do the twist this month (and earned an extra entry in the random draw too!). Love the blues and golds together and all the fun elements you added! It's perfect!! Thanks for linking this up to Cropstop - it's always a pleasure to have you play along!

ankitag612 said...

Such a beautiful journal page. Love how you used the patterned paper to stamp the sentiment out. Thank you so much for joining us on Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge. xx Ankita

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

I almost always start my mixed media sessions watching Tiffany's videos too! :) This is such a fun page, Christine!